Monday, November 17, 2008

Poodles

Well the weekend flew by with the boy toy around and it didn’t help that I was a bit under the weather and more inclined to sleep while he was here than actually go out. So our weekend started out with us going to look at a house for my uncle and then off to the apt to clean up. This really means we cleaned up a little then made a bigger mess by getting out the trusty inflatable mattress and pushing all my furniture out of the way (ie the one chair I have) and putting the bed together. My apt is so small he actually had to leave his bag in the entry way because there was no more room...poor poodles.

Why poodles you ask? Why does the boy toy have such a ridiculous nickname besides boy toy? Well it goes back about a year or more to when he had to challenge me into thinking up the most ludicrous nickname. He proudly boasted that he has had every nickname in the book. Well he doesn’t know me very well or my imagination. So we were sitting there and it came to me What boy in his right mind would want to be called poodles in public? Well apparently he did because he had to challenge me so hence the poodles. Don’t worry folks I only use it to embarrass him every so often.

But back to the weekend of sleep. So we decided this weekend we would try out some new places (or at least they were new to him). I’m in LOVE with Texas BBQ (I know I'm a sprinkaholic but come on I got to eat real food every once in a while) and I've officially found the spot. No it’s not the best I’ve ever had but it will do pulled pork sandwiches mnnnnn. Texas West BBQ it’s spicy its sweet it’s everything a girl could wish for in a bbq sandwich (notice how the diet went out the door). I’m afraid that I may be going to this place more than I should but whatever a girls got to have bbq! That was pretty much the end of the evening for me I ended up taking med's and passing out at 8pm and not awaking till 10am. And this in itself was depressing cause I’m usually up at 7am out the door to the gym and on my way to a productive day. Today was NOT going to be that day. Once I finally got myself out of bed we went to McKinley Park and walked the track and then headed down to 33rd and N where another restaurant of my liking was awaiting

MR. Pickles, I’m a sucker for a good name! We walked it and it was as if heavens doors opened into a sandwich shop! I have to say I highly recommend Mr. Pickles it was fresh and the bread, which ultimately makes or breaks a sandwich made this sandwich! And to top it off you get a warm cookie with your sandwich! (This place had me at hello). Not only do they have sandwiches but yes they sell those large dill pickles from the jar! 99cents of enjoyment! After lunch I was spent I had to lie down! As for Poodles he was getting ready to take an exam at sac state that afternoon and I had promised him some chicken potpie and pumpkin pie for dinner. So after the quick little rest it was time to start cooking where I made this... Pumpkin pie and chicken potpie and look I even included the recopies!!! The chicken potpie turns out a little runny at first so if you want it stiffer add 1/4 cup more of the flour to the recipe!


Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked (ill tell you how later you will need poultry seasoning the remaining onion and salt and pepper)
8oZ/1 Stick unsalted butter (cut into 1Tbs pieces)
1/2-cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef broth/stock
1 cup chopped yellow onion (cut up a whole onion the remainder you will use with the chicken)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup peeled chopped carrots
1 cup frozen pees
1-cup red skin potato (skin still intact fiber baby fiber)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp of Italian seasoning
2 pie crusts store bought (you only buy one package because 2 crust come in a package)
1 egg
Pie tin


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F


To start get a heat a large pot of water with the remaining onion, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste along with the chicken. I put 2-3 pieces because it depends if you like it meaty or not so meaty. So you let that boil until the chicken is slightly pink when cut in half (it will continue to cook in the pie so don’t worry about getting all that pink out!)

*Note I only have one pot so I had to do this first clean the pot and start on the soup part, if you have two large pots well you can do this part while the chicken cooks or you can prepare your veggies in a separate bowl for adding later.

In another large pot melt butter over medium heat and add the flower stirring it in and slowly adding the chicken and broth stock. Remember to Stir CONSTANTLY (it will begin to smell nutty).

After adding all the stock bring it to a boil.

Add the veggies and salt pepper and Italian seasoning to taste (for me that was about 5 grinds of pepper and 2 of salt). Let the veggies cook for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Add the chicken and let cook for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat.

As the soup cools prepare your piecrust. Line the bottom of the pie tin with the first crust. Pour the soup into the pie tin. Now take your top pie crust unroll it on a flat surface that has some flour on it so it wont stick and cut a hole in the center and about 4-8 slits so it looks like a sun. Place the top crust on top of the pie and then close the perimeter by taking your fingers and squishing the top crust and bottom crust together in a pinching motion (here’s a picture for reference). Now beat the egg in a small bowl and brush onto the crust and put it in the oven. Let the CPP cook for 15 mins at 425 then turn down for 30-45 mins at 400. Check on the pie when the crust is the color you like take it out and let it set for 10-15 minutes before serving (I am not good at this step)



Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients:
1 piecrust
1 14oz can Libby’s Pure Pumpkin
1/2tsp slat
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp ground cloves
2 eggs
1 can evaporate


To cut this short all you do is follow the directions on the pumpkin pie can (I know I’m a cheat but it makes a good pie) I did however add in more cloves I believe and more cinnamon would be fine too in my book! The other note I would add to this is about the pie crust, you dont need to pre pake it or anything just place it in the pie tin make your pinched edges and pour the pumpkin pie filling in before you put it in the oven.


Well dinner was amazing and I was again in bed asleep by 9 this time and up at 10 again (grrr). Sunday turned out to be a lazy day went to the gym and walked down to bistro 33 and had some good food. Poodles hamburger (apparently amazing I didn’t even get a bite) and Me a Chicken Panini that was more of a chicken grilled cheese but still good. Then it was back to the apt where I conveniently curled up and slept and watched movies with poodles for the remaining of the day. I don’t do this often so I wasn’t feeling so bad about it but today was back to the grind working on budgets that could drive a person crazy! And tonight left over chicken potpie and sending poodles back to SOCAL (lucky!) But on the bright side...next week is Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment