Monday, April 27, 2009

Make a Baby Blanket with me!

So a friend of mine has asked me to make a baby blanket as a gift for an expecting mother. I of course was up to the challenge and thought what the hey lets do a tutorial for all of you out there so you can do it with me! I can whip this bad boy up in probably a day but I'm gonna spread it out so you can take your time. I'm making it just like this blanket which I made for BT.
One side is a pattern of your choice or you can just choose to do one piece of fabric and the other is Chenille. The thing that is a little bit special about this blanket is the edging. The edging is a piped edging its super easy to make so Don't Be Afraid! Here is a close up of the piped edgeSo I did a little research and found out that the best size for a baby blanket is between 34"-36" on either edge so I'm sticking with this. So here is a short list of what you will need to make this blanket

1. 1 yard of Chenille fabric
2. Front fabric if you are just doing one piece of fabric you will just need 1 yard. If you are going to do a pattern just make sure your finished top measures in between the 34"-36".
3. 1/2 yard of piping fabric
4. Thread you can use whatever color you want but please note you will be sewing on the top of the blanket so you might want something that matches.
5. Sewing machine and Zipper foot
6. Cording. Now this can be twine, nylon rope, actual cording you get at the fabric store whatever you want. Because I like piping I actually went to Home Depot and bought some White Nylon twine that is used to rope off areas of a construction site. You can get whatever size you want mine is about 1/8"7. Ruler at least 18inches
8. Tape Measure
9. Scissors or Rotary Cutter (if you use a rotary cutter you will also need a cutting board)
10. Marking Tool
11. Needles

This should be all you need! next up will be cutting the front and back or piecing the front (if your looking for something fancy).

Hope you enjoy this and join in on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment