I'm taking it old school today. Back to college (I know I just left that place 2 years ago) when I was poor (what am I talking about I am still poor) and busy all the time with school, work, water ski team, and well general debatury. This is one of MY FAVORITE meals to have in college and now! It has changed over the years but its great for any time of year and any size family. I make it and it last for a week and can be re heated and eaten many different ways which ill explain a little later. And you want to know the best part it cost under $20 bucks to make!!! See why I ate this so much in college? It's also a NAB 30 Minute Meal (sorry Rachel but I've got meals that take 30 minutes too)
So lets get started!
Poor College Students Dinner (PCSD)
~1lb Lean Ground Beef/Turkey
1 package of Taco Seasoning
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1/2 bag frozen corn
You will also need a Stock pot and some PAM/olive oil just a little
Note: After you see how this is made you can change up the ingredients these are just my favorite. Its also good with some diced tomato's but it makes it a little more like chili than Mexican.
1. Heat up the pan spray with some PAM or add 1tsp. of olive oil.
2. Add meat to the pot and follow the directions on the back of the seasoning packet (it should say to brown the meat, drain the excess oil and liquid, add the seasoning and 2/3 cups of water and let simmer for 5 minutes)
3. While your meat is cooking dice up those Yellow Bell Peppers and drain your beans.
4. Once your meat is done seasoned and all add the 1/2 back of frozen corn and let cook for about 2 minutes (stir occasionally)
5. Add your bell pepper and allow to cook for about 3-5 minutes
6. Add the beans and allow to cook until warm (about 5 minutes)
7. Remove from heat your ready to serve!
Now for the serving there are many many many different ways to do this and here are a few of them:
1. Take the PCSD place in a bowl and add cheese, salsa, and some sour cream and stir together and serve
2. Serve the PCSD over some greens (like I did with spinach), add some salsa for a kick!
3. Serve in flour/corn tortillas with some veggies on the side.
Now you will probably have left overs (like me) and I like to take it and make quiche! Yes this is gonna cost you a little more money but its not terrible especially if you are feeding a family/friends
All you need is
Pastry puff (its a sq version of pie crust you find in the freezer section)
1 cup or more of Cheese (if you please)
2 cups of the PCSD or more if you like
Quick spray of PAM
Pie tin or a 9x9 casserole dish
And the Directions....
1. Pre-Heat Oven 350 degree's
2. Grease your pan
3. unroll your pastry puff (it should be defrosted) and place in pie tin/casserole. You will probably have some overhang of the dough so cut it off add it to the sides to make a larger rim or trash it but you know me waste not want not.
4. beat your eggs in a bowl add the cheese and PCSD and mix together (note the PCSD may need to be microwaved to kinda loosen it up)
5. Pour the egg mixture in to the pastry puff
6. Throw in the oven for about 30 minutes (you should be able to take knife and insert into the center of the quiche and it should come out clean)
7. Take out let cool for 5 minutes and serve (I like to put some salsa on top)
Its quick its easy it PCSD.